Attorney Trey Wilson - RL Wilson Law

28 August 2008

Texas Landowner Bill of Rights -- Condemnation & Takings of Private Property

This Bill of Rights applies to any attempt by the government or a private entity to take your property. The contents of this Bill of Rights are prescribed by the Texas Legislature in Texas Government Code Sec. 402.031 and Chapter 21 of the Texas Property Code.

1. You are entitled to receive adequate compensation if your property is taken for a public use.

2. Your property can only be taken for a public use.

3. Your property can only be taken by a governmental entity or private entity authorized by law to do so.

4. The entity that wants to take your property must notify you about its interest in taking your property.

5. The entity proposing to take your property must provide you with an assessment of the adequate compensation for your property.

6. The entity proposing to take your property must make a good faith offer to buy the property before it files a lawsuit to condemn the property.

7. You may hire an appraiser or other professional to determine the value of your property or to assist you in any condemnation proceeding.

8. You may hire an attorney to negotiate with the condemning entity and to represent you in any legal proceedings involving the condemnation.

9. Before your property is condemned, you are entitled to a hearing before a court-appointed panel that includes three special commissioners. This specialized hearing panel must determine the amount of compensation the condemning entity owes for the taking of your property. The commissioners must also determine what compensation, if any, you are entitled to receive for any reduction in value of your remaining property.

10. If you are unsatisfied with the compensation awarded by the special commissioners, or if you question whether the taking of your property was proper, you have the right to a trial by a judge or jury. If you are dissatisfied with the trial court's judgment, you may appeal that decision.

If you are facing Condemnation, or an uncompensated taking or trespass upon your land by a unit of government, you should contact an experienced real estate attorney. San Antonio lawyer Trey Wilson represents landowners in a variety of legal proceedings and transactions relating to ownership, sale, transfer, and takings.

Trey Wilson --Named By Scene in SA Magazine As One of San Antonio's Best Real Estate Litigation Attorneys -- September 2008 -- As voted on by peers